Today is UAE National Day! Exactly 46 years ago the United Arab Emirates was founded. As I live in Dubai, which is part of the UAE I thought that I would take some time today to share some facts about the UAE with you, for those of you who don’t know it that well.
When I first moved to Dubai I was pleasantly surprised with all the festivities that surrounded UAE National Day. Living in London, we never had a national day. We had a few bank holidays, but there isn’t a specific day where we celebrate our country. I think it’s amazing how the whole country comes together to celebrate this day, and I can tell you from what I see in Dubai, they certainly celebrate it well!!
- The UAE is made up of 7 Emirates: Abu Dhabi, Ajman, Sharjah, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras Al Khaimah, and Umm Al Quwain.
- We usually get a day off school and work for UAE National Day 🙂
- The Dubai police have a Lamborghini, Ferarri, and a Bentley (SO COOL!)
- Only 13% of the population of the UAE is actually Arab! Lot’s of expats 😉
- Abu Dhabi’s Ferrari World is home to the worlds fastest roller coaster, which travels at 150 mph. (I was too scared to try it when I visited)
- 25% of the worlds working cranes are in Dubai. What can I say? Dubai is a fast growing city!
- The hottest it’s ever been in the UAE was 52.1 degrees Celsius in July 2002. Yes, summers here are REALLY hot.
- The UAE used to rely heavily on pearl trading, we even have a museum to learn about this in Dubai.
- In 2020 Expo is going to be held in Dubai (the same year I graduate from high school!!)
- It only rains approximately 5 days in a year in Dubai! (trust me, we get really excited when it does rain)
I hope you found these facts interesting and you learned a bit more about the UAE and where I live. Happy Birthday to the UAE!
Little Miss Expat
Like this post – Click the button underneath this post