This week I thought I would write another guide for you guys. Just after I first started my blog, I wrote a post called ‘How To Explore a New City as an Expat’ I wanted to build on this post, and add in a few more tips about traveling. Enjoy!
- Be Organized: For the new-ish traveler one of my top tips would be to plan your trip in advance, book planes, hotels, and work out anything else you might need. Keep your tickets and passport ready, and make sure you have all the necessary documents and visas. Traveling is much more enjoyable when you don’t have to worry about the logistical side of it.
- Visit Places That Interest you: When you arrive in a new place, don’t feel pressured to go to all the museums, gardens, or parks. Go to places you’re interested in. If you like history then go to the museums, but if you like exploring don’t force yourself. There’s a multitude of things to do in one city, hiking, shopping, visiting monuments, people watching etc… Do things you’re genuinely interested in!
- Do a Little Bit of ‘Research’: Personally, before I travel I like to have an idea of a few places I want to visit, some restaurants to try, and some stores I want to see. Usually, I’ll take a look at Pinterest, read some blogs, and recently I’ve started looking through the hashtags on Instagram for wherever I’m going to get an idea of what’s popular in that area. I think it’s useful to have a handful of places that you want to visit and use them as a base to explore a city.
- Document Your Trip: Whether it’s taking photos, journaling, or even vlogging, I think it’s a fun idea to document your trip. Years from now you can look back to remember your travels and the fun times you had. Or you could show your photos to your friends back home and make them jealous!
- Live In The Moment: While I’m all for documenting the trip, sometimes it’s good to live in the moment, and really just focus on where you are. When I’m traveling I actually kind of like not having any data on my phone, so that I just use it to take photos. It’s a nice time to be detached from social media for a few hours, and fully enjoy the place where I am.
- Immerse Yourself In The Native Culture: For the most part, you’re only going to visit this place once, why not make the most of it? Take part in cultural activities and have a bit of fun! During Spring Break last year my family and I visited Japan, and we took part in a Tai Chi class in a park, and when we went to China, we had a traditional tea ceremony. It was interesting to experience their own unique cultures.
- Wake Up Early or Stay Up Late: Make the most of your jet lag! Use it to get up early in the morning to explore the city before everyone else, or to stay up in the evenings and see a different side to the city. You might be pleasantly surprised with what you see.
- Watch The Sunsets and Sunrises: Wherever I am in the world, I love doing something as simple as watching the sunset and rise. It’s beautiful wherever you are in the world, and it’s cool to see it in different places around the world.
What did you think of my travel tips? What’s the most interesting place you’ve ever visited? Let me know in the comments!
Little Miss Expat
Like this post – Click the button underneath this post